Well yesterday (Monday) was Michael’s first day back to work after the long holiday weekend and boy was it a doozie!
The morning started off fine, mostly. I folded laundry, washed a few dishes, and enjoyed my morning cup of coffee. As I was rinsing out my coffee cup, I noticed that the water wasn’t hot at all. I waited…waited. Dang. No hot water! This is something we have been dealing with lately– our pilot light burning out! These crazy Nevada winds do nothing to help. LUCKILY the last time it went out, I made Michael show me how to relight it. It’s not as simple as one might think. Turning knobs, holding down this button, reaching way back in the back to reach the valve… So now it was time to put my skills to the test– and I totally lit it on my own!
I felt like such a self-sufficient woman! Hehe… No more waiting for hubby to get home! So after waiting a few minutes for the tank to fill back up and get hot, I bathed Zeke and got Norah and I dressed and we headed over to Nikkis for awhile since the kids wanted to see each other. It was kind of a nice surprise; while we were there Pat and Michael were driving through town and decided to stop by the hotel room (where we all happened to be) on their lunch break. So we got to see him for a few minutes which was pretty cool.
For the next few weeks, the guys are working a small job at the mine in Battle Mountain instead of the one in Golconda (over an hour away)! This means Michael can sleep in later AND get home earlier– AWESOME! We will definitely enjoy the next few weeks!

After we got home from Nikkis, I started getting dinner ready. I was making enchiladas with corn tortillas, so I heated oil to give the tortillas a quick fry. As I rinsed off my tongs in the sink,I started hearing a weird bubbling noise. I looked over at the oil; it was cooled. I shut off the water. Still heard bubbles. Hmmm… Then I smelled a weird smell… Uh-oh. I went into the bathroom and lo and behold, water was bubbling up from the drain in the bathtub!
It rose about 2 inches then stopped. It wasn’t gross sewage water but it definitely wasn’t freshwater. Now I had a hunch it had something to do with a holding tank so I did something I’ve only seen Michael do; used the digital panel in the kitchen to check the tanks. Black tank: Empty. Freshwater tank: Empty. Grey tank: Full.
Sooooo now what to do?? I know Michael drains them often but i had never watched. So I picked up my phone and called my father in law who I knew could walk me through it. And I was right! As soon as I explained what was going on, he said “Yup, that’s the grey tank, which is from your sinks.” He told me what to do and the tub immediately drained. Awesome! I felt even more self-sufficient! I was doing all sorts of fun stuff today! 🙂

After using Lysol to sanitize the tub and letting the shower head run to rinse it out, I finished our dinner. Which, by the way, is a GREAT easy tasty meal. This is how my mom made enchiladas as I was growing up and I still prefer them to many enchiladas I’ve tried in restaurants! Here’s how we make them:

Fry 10 or so corn tortillas in canola/vegetable oil. This is probably the hardest part. Pour the oil in the bottom of the pan — just enough to cover 1 tortilla. Heat it on medium and give each tortilla one spin around the outside of the skillet. Flip and repeat. You don’t want them crisp at all! Let them drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Then on the stovetop, heat a can of Hormel Chili. We buy the No Beans kind but if you like beans, go for it! 10 tortillas is enough for a 9×13 pan, but 10 really require about a can and a half of chili. Since I didn’t have another can of the same stuff, I stirred in a can of Hormel Chicken Chili which had chicken, corn, and beans. After the chili is heated through, spoon a heaping spoonful into each tortilla, roll into enchilada and place into greased 9×13 pan, seam side down.

Oops just counted– guess I made 11, not 10! Haha! Anyway, cover the whole thing with shredded cheese and pop in the oven (or microwave) until all the cheese is melted. Delicious! There are lots of variations of this method, obviously. Sometimes I add a pinch of shredded cheese in each tortilla before rolling it up. Sometimes we add enchilada sauce (canned, find it with the Latino foods at the grocery store) over top of the tortillas before topping with cheese. Of course my husband smothers his with hot sauce before eating. Whatever floats your boat! But dang, they sure are good.

After dinner, Michael and I played another game of 2 handed euchre, which I won for the second night in a row. I read a chapter or 2 from Left Behind, the book we are reading aloud together on my Kindle. Then it was time for bed– at least I had a peaceful end to the day!